Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

 
I have been so thankful to go on a whole bunch of amazing field trips during my time here in Norway.  I've seen so many cool things and been to so many cool places that I don't entirely know how to give them justice by explaining them.

One observation I keep making is how completely "Norwegian" our tour guides are and how incredibly talented they are.  On that first point, when I say "Norwegian," I mean blonde-haired, blue-eyed... that stereotype.  Not all Norwegians are really like that by the way.  Yet, I wonder, is it a coincidence that so many of these people are the tour guides? I mean, are they the people that go for those jobs or are they given preference?

On the second point, I've loved how talented everyone has been.  I've enjoyed some great shows/ songs/ dances in some pretty cool and authentic places.  While a video can't quite give you that feeling that you're there, maybe I can share some of this incredible talent with you.  Now, let me explain the video that I've included in this post.  I took it in Hamar, a town an hour and a half outside Oslo, where I went with my architecture class.  We were inside this glass/ steel structure that was so perfectly designed to protect cathedral ruins. Coincidentally, the acoustics of this building ended up being perfect for music as well.  Our tour guide sang a beautiful song.

I hope you enjoy it!

2 comments: