Pages

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Kids are Funny

As a prof d'anglais at elementary schools, it should come as no surprise that the kids love me.  For them, I represent a time to learn something different, new, and sometimes just plain funny.  I'm different from their regular teachers in that I'm younger, from somewhere they don't understand, and have all sorts of "funny" traditions.

For example, last week I was teaching the days of the week.  European calendars are organized such that they start with Monday, i.e. Monday is the first day of the week, whereas I explained that for me as an American, Sunday is the first day of the week.  Of course confusion ensued, and I assured them that everything is still the same; the weekend is still Saturday/ Sunday and the school week is Monday through Friday.  Although this did bring up some discussion about Wednesdays - France is in the process of changing the school calendar to add Wednesday morning school.  Currently, Wednesday is thought of as a recreation and extra-curricular activity day.  The four days that they do have school last until 5 pm - bring on the strikes!  After I showed them my calendar and they heard the song that started on Sunday, they seemed somewhat reassured and passed it off as a funny cultural difference (probably not the way they would phrase it - but that's what it is nonetheless).

While this is a great way for the children to learn about the U.S. and my traditions, sometimes their questions are just plain silly.  For example, "Why is your name Danielle?"... "Uhh, because that's what my parents decided it would be?" Or there's the assumption that I currently live in the U.S. and fly to France every week to teach: "Do you take a plane or a train from the U.S.? A plane. Woah, that must be really far away! Yep, it is, but I am living in Perpignan for this year. Ohhhhhh."

Given that I am so "exotic" to these young-ins (and that I always have fun songs to share), they get very excited when they see me arrive.  I probably hear "Hello!" or "Hello Danielle!" (they use my first name or equally as often "maîtresse," meaning teacher) at least 20 times before I even make it into the classroom.  Sometimes, a kid gives me a sticker and thinks he's the coolest in the class or I receive a specially-made card (I got a lot when I gave them Christmas cards to color).  Last week, I received the most intricately made one yet! It was a card, inside of a homemade envelope, inside of a homemade baggy with handles (all made out of colored paper).  It's funny to see how many different ways they can spell my name.

This year, I'm understanding more and more the phrase, "Kids say the darnedest things"!

"For Danielle: I really like English but unfortunately I'm French! Also, you are pretty and nice."

No comments:

Post a Comment